Sunday 16 May 2010

The Lake District Day 2 - Old Coach Road

Today for my bike ride I wasn't sure whether to go north to do some bridleways around Skiddaw, or south to check out the Old Coach Road. I decided on the latter. Again, I wasn't really in the mood for a major outing, just exercise in beautiful surroundings. Turns out the Old Coach Road is part of the National Cycle Network Coast to Coast (NCN C2C) route, off-road option. It's brilliant. The climbing is on loose rock, which is always tricky, especially the way my bike is set up, but it was all doable. In fact it was so good that when I got to the end of it, I just turned around and did it in reverse. I saw one other person on a bike, and a couple of walkers, with dogs. I did have a vague plan to take the bridleway up Matterdale Common towards Great Dodd, but again, I'll leave that for another time.


The Old Coach Road

After that, went to Keswick again to get a few things - meths for my spirit burner, some bacon for tomorrow's breakfast, bread and snacks. I impulse purchased a wind up lantern in the outdoor shop. That's cool - very light, doesn't need batteries, and very bright. Apparently one minute of cranking gives 25 minutes of light. Perfect for backpacking. On the way to Keswick we stopped off at Castlerigg Stone Circle. I must've cycled right past it last year and didn't notice! Anyway, it's kind of amazing, given its setting and everything.


Castlerigg Stone Circle - awesome location!

Then we went into Borrowdale to do a walk. Stopped at Roshthwaite and walked a 5 mile loop towards Seatoller and back along the Allerdale Ramble path and around Castle Crag.


Rosthwaite from the Allerdale Ramble path

Later we went to the Coledale Inn for dinner - that's a really nice place. One day I will stay there and see what it's like. I ate there several times last year when I did the Whinlatter Altura race.

No comments:

Post a Comment