Tuesday 3 July 2012

Pennine Way Day 10 - Keld - Hawes

July 3, 2008

Journal

0945 Setting off... see how it goes ;)
Leaving the Keld Lodge, fed and watered.
Later in Thwaite
To get here from Keld there's a circuit of Kisdon Hill which from the map seems unnecessary but actually lets you see views of old Swaledale mines and you get to walk along some of Yorkshire's fabled green lanes. Thwaite is a sleepy little place. After here there's a big long gradual climb onto Great Shunner Fell.
Dropping down into Thwaite, a pretty green lane.
Great Shunner Fell (716m) 6.6 miles from Keld
Fantastic view from up here - with a substantial seat / cairn to have a rest. Also, mobile signal for the first time in days, so (bizarrely) sent some texts and a picture message!
Approaching Great Shunner Fell.
On Great Shunner Fell.
1438 Hardraw 11.45 miles
In the Green Dragon. It was a long descent into Hardraw off Great Shunner Fell - I thought the track would never end! But I feel quite good today. I think I will finish this walk after all :) Perseverance, determination, endurance. I'm learning about myself. The beer I'm drinking here is really nice - Tippell Brewery "Balls Up!" - tasty!
The descent to Hardraw is very long, but a good track.
Later in Hawes
As soon as I left Hardraw it started raining, so a miserable end to the day. Made it into the YHA before it opened, but able to start getting my wet things dry. Alls well, geezer showed up and there's room for me to stay. Going to eat in Hawes because it has a lot of nice looking pubs.
Some of the stiles on the PW are pretty tough to get over
with a big rucksack on. This one was particularly difficult!
2000 The Fountain, Hawes
Had a nice dinner - spicy wings and lasagne. Only one pint of Riggwelter drunk, which since it's on draught here is quite an achievement in itself, but probably for the best. Not sure what to do now... another beer? I think not. Probably should phone the family :)

Day 10 Statistics

KLD - HAW13.22 miles (164 miles from KY; 59.9%)
712m ascent
716m max elev.
overall average: 2.5mph
The Green Dragon, Hardraw.

No comments:

Post a Comment